Saturday, March 23, 2013

The Votes Are In

After taking some advice from Aline, I've decided to try to make a "playable" version of my code, where you control a character walking around a 3D world in which story is created in real time. So far I've implemented a character that you can control yourself (in terms of walking around), and my next step is creating character interactions. I need some sort of menu screen that will let you choose the action you wish to take when talking to someone. I have no idea how to do that in Unity yet. I've been doing some research, but so far I haven't been able to figure out how to do it myself. I haven't been trying too long yet, though. The next step after that is making a way to ask characters about their past interactions, so you can get other people's stories (what just happened to them) besides just your own, and learn about why someone might be acting the way they are.

I'm optimistic about finishing this in time for the beta. If I can, I might either try to implement the "story cuts" technique of having the program show you what it deems important through cutting, or else rework a version of the code and the action/config files so that you have a genuine story to play through (a soap opera, a murder mystery, etc), which seems like relatively little work and probably would make the demonstration much more enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment